Crock-Pot® Spiced Apple & Bourbon Upside-Down Cake
Crock-Pot chose my original recipe as a first place win! It’s a warmer and goo-ee-er version of the Rustic Apple cake I’ve been making for years. It’s slow cooked, warm, spicy, and spiked. I’m certain the use of whole wheat flour is what makes this dessert so delicious. I can’t wait for the mailman to arrive with my prize package. 🙂 I hope you will enjoy this steamed in the crock-pot cake!
- 3 Honey Crisp apples, washed
- 1 Tablespoon plus 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened, divided
- 1/2 cup plus 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons plus 3/4 cup whole wheat flour, divided
- 2 teaspoons apple pie spice, divided
- 1/4 cup fine quality Kentucky bourbon (50 ml bottle)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 can whipped cream or vanilla ice cream
- Turn slow cooker on high heat. With 1 Tablespoon of the butter, coat inside of crock. Meanwhile; peel, core and dice apples into slices and place in a large bowl. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of the brown sugar over the apples, along with 2 Tablespoons of the flour and 1 teaspoon of the spice. Toss to completely coat apples. Put apples in 3-quart Crock-Pot®. Pour bourbon over the apples.
- In a large mixing bowl, with beater, whip the egg, vanilla, 1/2 cup softened butter and remaining 3/4 cup brown sugar for about 3 minutes until pale in color. Continue to mix in the baking soda, salt and then the remaining 3/4 cup flour. Pour batter over apples. Secure lid and DO NOT lift,- cook on high heat for 2 ½-3 hours (when cake is evenly risen. Scoop hot and overturn onto individual serving dishes and top with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. Serves 4.